Saturday, June 18, 2011

Butterfly Clips


I saw the cutest bows that I have ever seen online. They're shaped just right so of course I immediately thought of butterflies.
I thought I'd get some and see what I could do with them. This is what I came up with. You can pretty much use anything to set the butterfly on...lace or bits of fabric you might have hanging around. Some of the lace I already had on hand and some of it I bought just for this.


This is what they looked like when I bought them.

You can see why I thought of butterflies.


I sewed some beads for the bodies of the butterflies. I used some crystal bi-cones and some glass pearls.
I used either three 4mm or two 6mm.

For the lace or ribbon behind the butterfly I made a running stitch and gathered it until I thought it would make a big enough circle. Stitch the ends together and there you have it.


Fold in half, that's why they're double sided.
The antennae was the hardest part for me to figure out. I cut some strips of beadalon for this, but you can use any beading wire. I dipped the ends in E-600 glue (careful, that stuff is super stinky and super toxic). I used 4mm crystal beads for the ends. Bi-cones work the best. Some of them are rondelles and well, they look kind of like aliens....say, that might not be a bad idea.
Use hot glue (the stinky stuff works real well for this part too but well, you know, hot glue doesn't smell as bad) to attach the antennae to the lace and then the butterfly on top of that.  You can use these for embellishments for gifts, scrapbooking, or anything. I like to think that someday I'll do the scrapbook thing but I never do. I actually put alligator clips onto the backs of them for my girls' hair.
E-600 glue works best to attach clips.

 You can attach these to baby headbands or use them for necklace clips. The possibilities are almost endless. Only almost because, I wouldn't exactly use these for mens tie pins. Maybe I'll have to try something a little StarWars like next time....




Coming up next are these cute flower clips so stay posted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment